The Candidates Tournament will take place from March 10-28. Eight of the best chess players will battle it out in Berlin, Germany for their share of 420,000 euros and the right to play Magnus Carlsen in November for the World Championship.
The eight players and the route they went to qualify include:
- Sergey Karjakin: Runner-up of the World Chess Championship 2016 match
- Levon Aronian and Ding Liren: The top two finishers in the Chess World Cup 2017
- Shakhriyar Mamedyarov and Alexander Grischuk: The top two finishers in the FIDE Grand Prix 2017
- Fabiano Caruana and Wesley So: The top two players with highest average 2017 rating who played in World Cup or Grand Prix
- Vladimir Kramnik: Wild card nomination by the organisers Agon, with FIDE rating at least 2725 in any FIDE published rating list in 2017.